Angel Band: The Hymn Sessions CDTrack listing:
1. O Come Angel Band (w/ Sonya Isaacs & Laura Sue Brod)
2. Never Grow Old (w/ Regina McCrary & Marc Scibilia)
3. Down By The Riverside (w/ Julie Lee)
4. Softly & Tenderly (w/ Sonya Isaacs)
5. Jesus Paid It All (w/ The McCrary Sisters)
6. The Lord's Prayer (w/ Ron Block)
7. In the Garden
8. I Am Thine/Near the Cross (w/ Ginny Owens)
9. I've Been Searching
10. Unclouded Day (w/ Sandra McCracken & Marc Scibilia)
11. Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus (duet w/ Cindy Morgan)
12. All Creatures of Our God and King
Still, I rejoice, at least just a little. Some of the hymns we Lutherans might judge as the weakest in one of our hymnals may be among the strongest (from a Bible perspective) in the hymnals of another tradition. Compare their texts and tunes with that of much of the music sung in American Evangelicalism since 1960, and you may agree with me that a collection like this is an improvement, an important step in a more historic and sound direction.
I encourage Andrew to keep singing hymns. We'll be listening for more from him.
You can listen to a preview of these tracks on the group's website. Our pre-release copy has them in a different order. We are more pleased with the new track order.
Hymns IV Song List
These are the 7 tracks from the new Hymns IV album.
- Amazing Grace
- His Eye Is on the Sparrow
- Wash Me Clean
- Song of the Saints
- Father Hear the Prayer We Offer
- House Of God Forever
- ’Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus
Only one, "Amazing Grace," appears in the aforementioned LSB. The cello in that hymn's treatment was greeted with joy by these ears, which were also surprised by the addition of new text and music that added, rather than detracted from the Newton text and NEW BRITAIN tune. Of the other texts/tunes, I was most familiar with "His Eye Is on the Sparrow." Honestly, I prefer this new tune and addictive arrangement to the original.
God bless the continued songmaking of Page CXVI. We can't wait to hear Hymns V!
The Whole Spirit: Redemption Songs by Todd Hoover
1. If You're the Same God 03:53 2. 3. Jubilant Noise 03:42 4. Weaklings 04:34 5. Death 11:00 6. Resurrection 03:45 7. After the Dragon Dies 03:37 8. Working/Waiting 04:29 9. Prayer and Doxology 01:40
A nine-movement indie/choral/folk liturgy of confession, renewal, and dedication, "The Whole Spirit: Redemption Songs" was written, arranged, and (with a little help from friends) performed by Phoenix, Ariz.-based singer/songwriter and soon-to-be Fuller Theological Seminary alumni Todd Hoover.
A biography and explanation of this album is available for your reading pleasure at toddhoovermusic.blogspot.com.
(Artist's Bandcamp website)
I grew up in church. I can't recall many of the sermons my pastor preached, or the lessons my Sunday School teachers taught, but I do remember hymns. In fact, if it hadn't been for the impact of those indelible tunes, I may have never fallen in love with music, or been introduced to God.